Old
06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
My somewhat realistic dream offseason:
-get rid of dead weight like Smyth/Belanger/Eager/Smithson etc for nothing
-resign Paajarvi 2 years 2 mil per
-trade 7th overall+Musil for 5th overall and select Barkov, if Barkov is gone/Carolina says no then trade for Couturier instead, Carolina and Philly could both use a Darnell Nurse/Rasmus Ristolainen, have Jordan Staal/Brayden Schenn as second liners, and we could use a big 2-way center
-trade Sam Gagner+Nick Schultz for Fedor Tyutin+Nick Foglino, Sam Gagner is 1 dimensional and only worth a 2nd rounder blahblahblah, but if there's one team in the NHL that could use an all offense player, it's Columbus, who have Jack Johnson and Ryan Murray to replace Tyutin as LHD, this gives us a legit top pairing dman and size up front
-trade Linus Omark to Detroit for a 4th, not like he has any value to us anymore
-trade Ales Hemsky for Zack Smith, gives Ottawa some much needed scoring and us a youngish 3rd liner at a much friendlier cap hit
-trade Tyler Pitlick for Cal Clutterbuck, gives us a player to physically abuse other teams' top players instead of the other way around
-resign Clutterbuck 3 years 2.5 mil per
-sign Ray Emery 1 year 1.5 mil per, Chicago slapped him in the face with the Raanta signing basically, so he goes to the team that finished second in the sweepstakes
-sign Eric Nystrom 3 years 1.75 mil per, gives us a solid 4th line penalty killer who isn't a liability 5 on 5 like Petrell
-sign Boyd Gordon 2 years 1.5 mil per, gives us a 4th line faceoff expert as a placeholder for Lander who actually has puck skills unlike Smithson
-sign Andrew Ference 2 years 2.5 mil per, players around 35 should never be given contracts more than 2 years as it could bite teams in the ***, that being said, Ference is a local boy and a decent puck mover to replace Whitney
-sign Paul Ranger 1 year 1.0 mil per, he can't be worse than Potter
-trade Shawn Horcoff for a bucket of dog feces, if any of our players start getting complacent, we can send a message by smearing dog feces all over some hallway and make the laziest player clean it up, even losers like Ales Hemsky would give it 110% in that scenario

Hall(6.00)-RNH(3.775)-Yakupov(3.775)
Foglino(3.08)-Couturier(1.325)/Barkov(2.00)-Eberle(6.00)
Paajarvi(2.00)-Smith(1.89)-Clutterbuck(2.50)
Nystrom(1.75)-Gordon(1.5)-Brown(0.73)
Lander(0.90)

Tyutin(4.50)-Schultz(3.775)
Smid(3.50)-Petry(1.75)
Ference(2.50)-Belov(1.525)
Ranger(1.0)

Dubnyk(3.50)
Emery(1.25)

Losing Gagner and the 7th overall is gonna suck, but that is a playoff team. Our top 6 has a lot more size and balance, and we finally have that elusive big 2-way center. Barkov is kinda my wet dream and I know it's not happening. I firmly believe that Monahan and Lindholm are both going to be better than Couturier simply because better skating translates to better offence, but they're not NHL ready and might not be there at 7, so Couturier is the safer bet. Besides, we're actually one of the better teams in the league at fixing crappy skaters, see: Gagner, Sam and Eberle, Jordan. Last season our bottom 6 was by far and away the worst in the NHL, I would argue that this edition is one of the best in the league. Brown stays because he's actually willing to fight opposing heavyweights unlike Clutterbuck. Our defence is without a doubt playoff calibre, it's no Chicago/St Louis, but more than sufficient to give us a chance game in game out. Smid and Petry proved this season they are a solid shutdown pairing, just not good enough offensively for a top pairing. Fedor Tyutin spent the past 2 seasons covering for the erratic Jack Johnson and defensive abomination Nikita Nikitin, so he'll have no trouble dealing with Justin Schultz's brainfarts. Hopefully Schultz can improve defensively under his mentorship, because he produces like a #1 dman offensively. Belov and Ranger are relative unknowns, but both have had professional success before. I fully believe Klefbom and Marincin will be NHLers, so we should give them top 4 minutes in the AHL to develop instead of sitting them in the pressbox, only calling them up as injury replacements. We need a better goaltender than Dubnyk if we want to be a contender, but I feel he's enough for playoffs. One step at a time guys. This gives us about 6 million in cap space for deadline acquisitions. Going into an offseason with RNH/Schultz/Couturier as RFAs is a scary thought, but the cap should rise enough.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote