View Single Post
Old
06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
ltsthinaz

vCash: 500
Been following the Rangers since 1962. Was present for almost every game from about 1967 through the mid-80's. Used to go to the Old Garden on 49th and Eighth Avenue and sit in the end balcony for $2, got season tickets as soon as the "New" Garden opened in 1967. Was sitting right near Ron Greschner when he scored the winning goal to defeat the Icelanders in '79, still have the ticket stub. So I think my opinion carries some weight.

In my humble opinion, the best team not to win Copa Stanley was 91-92. There is no question they were better than the Pens that year. If you recall, they were undefeated in 10 or 12 games in late March when there was a strike/lockout briefly, which broke their momentum. No question they would have beaten the Pens, and even though it was only in round 2, everyone knew that serieswas essentially the Cup final and the winner would coast to the Cup, which Pittsburgh did. Of course two years later the Rangers had their parade.

In 1971-72, the Rangers played heroically against the Bruins, but they were simply a notch below the Bruins in talent. There, the better team won and the Rangers slowly went downhill over the next few years until they actually lost to the Islanders in a best of three series in 1975.

Before 1962, I have little recall, as in my early childhood, the Rangers and the Bruins were invariably fifth and sixth, take your pick, in a six team league.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote