View Single Post
Old
06-27-2013, 10:34 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
I am not a Lightning fan any more. Vinik is an amazing owner, but I think he backed the wrong GM.
I'm thinking that there are probably more GM's than not that would have done this.

Here's my thinking.

Vinny didn't get bought out because he was overpaid. He was, but there are worse overpayments. It was manageable.

The cap hit was bad, but probably could have still been worked around with a Malone and/or Brewer buyout. Still, you're up to two strikes now and you still have to replace a couple of warm bodies instead of one.

The straw that broke the camels back has to be the cap recapture. If Vinny has to retire due to injury or just because he felt like it before the end of the contract then at least part of that cap hit still counts against the team. That's potentially losing a lot of cap space for a bad contract that Yzerman and Vinik inherited. I believed them when they said they had no interest in getting rid of Vinny, and I still believe that they meant it. But they probably didn't forsee some of the changes in the new CBA. There weren't a lot of options available to them.

ThunderAlleyNomad is online now   Reply With Quote