View Single Post
Old
10-19-2006, 12:55 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaelWho View Post
Not sure where this thread should go, but I figured people who played would get what I'm saying.

Wouldn't it make more sense for players who deflect pucks into the nets to get assists instead of goals? To me, it makes more sense that the guy deflecting the puck is assisting the shooter in scoring more than the person shooting the puck is assisting the deflector. I would consider a shooter's goal a deflection that doesn't involve the shooter adding momentum towards the net to the puck (i.e. a cross-ice pass that gets deflected up to the top shelf by a guy in front would give credit to the guy deflecting it, but a shot from the point that gets redirected would credit the shooter with the goal).
The objectivity involved would cause too many problems. Some people could argue they deserved a goal for their deflections. Also, I have scored and have witnessed many deflection-goals that would not have been goals had they not been deflected. Shots the get deflected top corner or 5-hole often would not get through without the tip in.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote