View Single Post
Old
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Vinny L's production started to drop from elite when Stamkos was drafted. But he was never in the same league as guys like Joe Thornton, Evgyeni Malkin, or other big centers we associate him with.

Unless, for some odd reason he wants to play here for cheap, it's a non-starter. Montreal and Toronto will throw contracts at him. I'm betting 5 years 25 million. Nice haul for the guy.
Lecavalier is a children of the trapping era. He was like 15 when NJD won their first Cup, and 26 when the redline was removed. I know I made some posts on him when he was the highest scoring player in the league where I was teared apart by Tampa fans but that was pretty spot on.

In short, to be elite nowadays you need to be able to fetch the puck deep in your own end and get up ice. If you can't do that, you can be shut down.

Lecavalier played all important years in an era where it cost you dearly to loose the puck in the neutral zone, and players could slash and hook you. He is very avg at skating the puck up ice.

At the top of his career, Lecavalier was easily as good as say Malkin -- once in the attacking zone. He got a long reach and had golden hands. He had an awesome shot. He was an awesome passer. But after the lockout, he could just be shut down if teams focused on him. If you get the puck deep on him, he isn't a threat and hasn't been after the lockout.

He just seems a bit stiff nowadays. Maybe he doesn't have that spark like a Sundin or Jagr and co had that pushed them to constantly reinvent their game.

But he is still a very solid center. He has helped Stamkos a ton (who is not a center BTW).