View Single Post
Old
06-27-2013, 08:17 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mand THW View Post
Might be an overpayment from the Oilers' perspective. Doubt the Bruins have interest in Belanger.

I don't believe the Bruins will try to move Boychuk unless they feel they absolutely have to. Until we hear how contract negotiations are going w/ Horton and Rask (besides rumors), it's difficult to place a number on how much salary the Bruins will have to clear.

Boychuk was one of the B's best defensemen this season - particularly in the playoffs. He showed he was capable of shouldering a significant load defensively. While he's no slouch in the attacking zone, his value comes from being a physically capable defense-first guy who can handle tough matchups. At best he's a borderline 2/3 guy. At worst he's a 3/4 with gusto. His contract (while it was initially laughed-off) is actually quite reasonable as a upper-middle paring guy.

While Boston's young defensemen proved themselves worthy of increased opportunities going forward, I'm not sure Chiarelli or Julien will be thrilled to head into camp with a top-six comprised of Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid and three guys with a combined games played total of well under 100.

All that said, if Edmonton offered the 7th and 37th for Boychuk, Pevs and Koko - that's tremendous value. At worst, they'd be getting a guy like Lindholm, Monahan or Nurse who represent great value that late. At best, they'd get a fantastic faller (Nichushkin?) with ginormous upside. (Not to mention an early second-rounder in a very deep class).

Realistically, this won't happen. (IMO) Boston comes up short in value here. Koko's a good prospect but arguably not enough to turn the B's 3D and a 2nd/3rd-line tweener F into cap savings and a whack at an elite prospect.

And even if they did, it wouldn't be a super easy call for Boston as they'd be faced with even more organizational turnover than many expected following a long playoff run.
I would like to have Boychuk and Pevs, Caron as well. I dont think #7 is in the mix for that package though unless the Bs got a pick and it was a move up. My opinion of Boychuk is very high but i dont put him at 7th overall high. I also wouldnt be willing to give up MPS, who showed good chemistry with yakupov and an actual game.

If Boychuk and Peverly are available I would be happy to send them 37, a forward prospect not on our NHL roster, and a d prospect not named Klefbom or Marincin. Hemsky is avail and wed keep 50%

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote