View Single Post
Old
06-27-2013, 09:16 PM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
I thought that happened with Richter, but it could be he just retired. Not sure, but I remember we traded him for something but he never played for another team
what you are thinking of is a loophole from 2 CBAs ago. teams would get draft pick compensation for losing ufas so teams would trade a pending ufa to a team for a pick, then sign that player back. so team A ends up resigning their guy plus adds a pick and team B gets a comp pick for 'losing' the ufa and gets a higher pick then they traded away.

rangers used the loophole a few times...98 they worked out a deal with nashville for the preds to pick richter in the expansion draft then 2 weeks later we signed richter. if i remember correctly there was a rule that you couldn't lose more than 1 goalie in the multiple expansion drafts so buy swinging this deal we didn't have to protect a goalie the following years

2002 we traded richter to edmonton for a comp pick then resigned him...oilers got a 3rd round pick 72nd overall in 03 for losing him, rangers got #122nd pick in 03 and took corey potter.

2003 we traded messier to sj for a pick that we used to draft callahan and then resigned him...plus we traded leetch to edmonton for markkanen & a 2004 4th round pick which was ironically traded to toronto with leetch the following year.

loophole was closed though and you no longer get compensation for losing ufas which gives the other team no incentive to make the trades...

does make for some fun trivia though...you could stump alot of people asking what nhl organizations was mike richter part of besides the rangers and how many times did the rangers trade away brian leetch