View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Can we stop trading for and signing old guys?
The Rangers roster is pretty green, especially sans Richards and Clowe. The oldest regular on the team would be Marty Biron, and the oldest regular skater would be Pyatt, followed by Nash. So, I'm not so sure adding an "old guy", as you put it, would be a bad thing. Lecavalier is 34 years old, and he can still produce. He's got size, isn't slow, is a great leader, has a ton of experience, and, most importantly, can fire the puck. I think he would be a tremendous addition to the powerplay. He'd give the Rangers the one-time shot that they have sorely lacked since Jagr left.

The more I think about it, the more I'd advocate going after Lecavalier. He is still a very good player. He had 32 points in 39 games last year. 49 in 64 the year prior. He's healthier now than he was the past few years, and I'd say he still has a good three years of high level hockey left. Play him on LW, rotate him at C depending on who's hot/who's cold. Adds versatility to the lineup.

Dreger mentioned that Toronto, Detroit, and Montreal would offer him around 3 years, $4.5M per. I'd definitely take him on that contract. Would much rather have him than Brière (although I wouldn't be opposed if Lecavalier decides to sign elsewhere), Ryder, or Clowe. Add Bolland, as well, and I think it's a damn good team to go into next season with.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Lecavalier-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Bolland-Callahan
Miller/Fast-Boyle-Dorsett
Pyatt

That's just one scenario, but it's a scenario I really, really like.