View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Was Pratt ever really a top defenseman for the Rangers? He doesn't win any awards until he goes to Toronto, and it seems like he was overshadowed by Coulter.
Pratt's best years were with Toronto, yes.

His time with the Rangers overlapped with Coulter and Heller. The AST voting record played out like this:

1936-37: Heller (6), Coulter (8)
1937-38: Coulter (3)
1938-39: Coulter (3), Heller (7)
1939-40: Coulter (3), Heller (5), Pratt (7)
1940-41: Heller (4), Coulter (8)
1941-42: Coulter (8), Pratt (9), Heller (10)

The voting trend suggests that Heller was, for the most part, the "better" player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
I'll even throw down the hammer and ruffle a few feathers: I think a good argument could be made for Rod Seiling over Jim Neilson (and I loved Neilson). Sorry Chief (the player, and the poster, assuming you chose the name for him).

They played in the same time period on the same team and were on the same pairing for a big chunk of their time in NYR. Neilson, despite potentially having more fluid offensive skills, didn't put up more points on average than Seiling did. Seiling's points per game pace was 0.39. Neilson's was 0.36. And Neilson did that while padding those #s with a good amount more PP time than Seiling. Just 15 percent of Seiling's points (during the time this was tracked) were off the power play. Whereas 27 percent of Neilson's were.

Neilson absolutely played a more physical game than Seiling did. But defensively, Seiling was at least a bit ahead of him in my mind. Seiling was a true stay at home, finesse defender. In the time that it was tracked, Seiling was a +208 in 510 games. Neilson was a +146 in 484 games. Seiling was a +0.41 per game. Neilson was a +0.3 per game.

One of the only other things Neilson has that Seiling doesn't is the 2nd AST. And I'm not sure that's enough to sway me to his side.
Going by AST voting, Seiling only had two seasons where he was "better" than Neilson. Neilson had five seasons where he was "better" than Seiling, and a higher peak.

1966-67: Neilson (13)
1967-68: Neilson (4)
1968-69: Neilson (6)
1969-70: Neilson (6), Seiling (19)
1970-71: Neilson (9), Seiling (10)
1971-72: Seiling (9), Neilson (14)
1972-73: Seiling (7)

It could very well be the case that Seiling (and Pratt) played a style that wasn't conducive to getting AST votes, leaving them underrated in the history books. Ultimately it is hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
Also wavering a bit on Heller and Pratt who I assumed would be locks for somewhere between 4 and 8 spots.
Heller is firmly near the top of this round for me. Pratt, I'm having more trouble placing, especially because I'm trying to find room for Greschner and possibly Seibert. It's funny how different Vote 2 is for defensemen compared to centers. In the centers project, I sort of felt dirty putting some guys in my top 10. Here, someone deserving is going to be left out.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote