View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 10:40 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
So wait, we fans show too much patience with young homegrown players, but then you complain that we want Del Zotto out? What? So does that mean that we DON'T show too much patience with young players?

Not to mention the fact that young players aren't paid $6.67 million per year and don't cripple our cap.
In a vacuum, Del Zotto is a guy you let develop and see how he improves.

In our situation, he's expendabe for scoring help since Hagelin and Callahan will/should make up 2/3 of our checking line this coming season. There's a couple of holes on that 2nd scoring line. Zuccarello can fill one of those holes if he's brought back, but there's still one spot open. It's risky business to count on Kreider or another kid to be the solution, they'll have to earn it. Thus, outside help needs to be acquired, most preferably through trade, since free agents will be overpaid.

As for why Del Zotto is expendable, take a look at the left side defensive depth. McDonagh is ahead of him. Staal is ahead of him if he comes back close to what he was, and Moore passed him on the depth chart this past playoffs and earned the time. Either we play Del Zotto where he's uncomfortable unless paired with McDonagh or Staal, or we let a very valuable asset help us to acquire a very valuable asset which is in a bigger area of team need. It's not too complicated, really.