View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Letang is absolutely ****ing nuts to turn down 7 mil a year for 8 years on a perennial Stanley Cup contender.
This. He does realize he's Kris Letang, right? I'm not sure what's worse, that he turned it down, or that Pittsburgh is trying to add another big, >$5m contract (Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Fleury, Martin). If he did take that contract, they would have Paul Martin and Letang commanding $12m/season for at least the next 2 seasons. That seems like overpayment to me, and not exactly a shutdown first pairing.

Looking at capgeek, they have 7 players under contract for the 14-15 season, $42m tied up, not including Letang. At a cap of $64.3m, and with (potentially) ~$49m tied up in 8 players if you add a big Letang contract, they'd need to sign 12 players with $15.3m. I don't see how Letang gets that contract, and Pittsburgh doesn't make any moves to free cap space.

I hope the Penguins know that I will happily play defense for them at a fraction of the cost, and make just as many bad pinches as Letang will.