View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I agree that Clowe probably isn't the answer, but one gets the sense slats wanted him for years. If that's true, he's not leaving.

To the other point, of all the "solid pieces" we drafted in the last 15 years, the successful ones (outside Lundqvist, Staal, Callahan, Tyutin and Stepan) have been guys like Corey Potter, Joey Crabb and Lauri Korpikoski. We drafted Jessiman at no. 12, then Montoya at 3, Staal, then Sanguinetti. More recently Miller, McIlrath, Del Zotto, Skjei (none of whom are shaping up to be "difference-makers"--some more than others). Maybe St. Croix, definitely Stepan.

We've signed two good undrafted guys in Girardi and Parenteau (who got decent with the Isles, not us), maybe MZA. The rest have sucked.

Our "rebuild" started in 2004 and was very noncommital. We traded crap for crap and drafted gus like Olver, Byers and Bahensky. Saviors, like Immonen, Balej, Kondratiev and Jessiman would take a few years, so we iced a team of 4th liners and 6th d-men and Jagr. The "new" NHL worked to our advantage, and we became "a pretty good team" again. The rebuild ended. We haven't progressed. I don't care if we were s Trophy\swept that year, and then went to the ECSF/President's Trophy runner-up 6 years later--we have not been a contender in almost 20 years.... 2012 is arguable, okay, I'll say that.

BUT... teams like the Hawks, the Kings, the Pens, the Bruins--were all re-building for a good 4 years, getting high picks. Although we've done it, it is very hard to **** up a top-five pick. That's what we need. That, or make more Gomez or Gaborik trades, those were rebuilding moves.

Clowe for three 2nd round picks is not a move for the future. Slats is good at making damage-control moves that usually give us a great part, but the sum of all is just not enough.

Until we commit to rebuilding the right way, we will be a "pretty good" team, that has to make **** trades, and always be near the cap, and drafts career 3rd liners.
I was told that New Yorkers can't handle a rebuild. But somehow they survived to 7 years of suck without much progress being made.