View Single Post
06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
HFBoards Sponsor
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
That's true but I'm just making the point that he didn't have a defensive partner that could cover his mistakes. Straalman magnifies DZ's sloppiness because he does little to make up for it.

I'm not totally hating on Stralman, either. He's a perfectly fine 3rd pairing defenseman that, like Mike, could use someone to cover his weaknesses (own zone). I just don't get that partnership and think both players could benefit from having a more defensively sound player on their side.

Of course, dealing Girardi like I proposed would leave us with 1 righthanded D-Man but I'd rather make value-based deals instead of needs-based deals.
Just the year before, Girardi was an all-star. He wasn't bad this year. He wasn't as good this year as the year before, but that doesn't mean he's declining and suddenly going to be a detriment to the team in 2 years. The whole team was worse with a few exceptions.

Trading him just to try and maximize his trade value is a bad idea. Try finding another dman in the league who is right handed, can play 25+ minutes a night against other teams' best players, and almost never misses a game, for just over 3 mil per year.