View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Bergeron is not a top five center in this league and probably not top ten. He's a solid two way guy who's being massively overrated. He's not Datsyuk, Toews, Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Malkin, Giroux... Yes, he's more complete on D than some of these players but there's no way in hell I'd take him ahead of say... Tavares. Tavares can carry a team by himself in a way that Bergeron can't. And Bergeron has a LOT of support behind him.
Those are probably the only Cs I'd take over Bergeron in the league. And I'm not sure if I'd take Giroux over him. And while Bergeron can't score the way Tavares or Stamkos does, I doubt either of them can still dominate shifts in a brutal difficult rule like Bergeron does. Toews is better, but I'm not convinced the difference is as much as I used to think. Bergeron is the rare sort of player that not only makes his linemates better, but makes every forward on the team better - he's the number one reason guys like Krejci and Lucic can be as effective as they are by sucking up so many matchups. No line in the league matches up well against Bergeron.

Just look at what happens when the Bruins play the Habs. Plekanec usually shuts down the Krejci line (for all the talk about Plek being "soft", it's the Bruins finesse players that kill him - something Julien adjusted well to last year. Lucic does very little against Plek's line.), but we have no answer for Bergeron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
And because his linemates did all the dirty work. Toews was unbelievable in front of the net and Bickell went right after Chara.
And this plays a big part of it. Plekanec plays a perimeter game because it's his game, as it is of plenty of players in the NHL, including those on cup winning teams every year. Guys who are faster than they are strong shouldn't be killing their careers by crashing and banging 24/7, that's a stupid waste of assets. It's about having the proper mix, as it always has been. Even the great Bergeron, who is strong enough to get involved, is better when his linemates are the ones doing the dirty work.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote