View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
StepansLabyrinth
Rational Police

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just the year before, Girardi was an all-star. He wasn't bad this year. He wasn't as good this year as the year before, but that doesn't mean he's declining and suddenly going to be a detriment to the team in 2 years. The whole team was worse with a few exceptions.

Trading him just to try and maximize his trade value is a bad idea. Try finding another dman in the league who is right handed, can play 25+ minutes a night against other teams' best players, and almost never misses a game, for just over 3 mil per year.
This is why he has real value in a trade. Also consider that, if we keep him, he's going to be making more than that 3 mil next season. We're already pretty handcuffed by the cap but having to pay Girardi a raise could hurt.

I just think the style in which Girardi has played is going to take a major toll on his production. Maybe last year wasn't a sign of that and he just had a bad year; maybe he'll continue to be slow as molasses and injury prone. I do not like the prospect of having to give him a multi-year deal after next season, no matter how well he plays.

Yes, we have a lack of RHD but, to be honest, I'm not all that positive how big of a role it plays. I assume it matters for teams who dump and chase (as well as defending it); it's easier to win the puck down along the boards on your forehand than the backhand. However, I think we'll be doing far less of that this season with AV. Having a lefthanded shot on the right is actually an advantage when it comes to shooting and breaking up passes through the middle. I'd prefer a RHD on the right, but I don't think it's vital and the fact is that there are a lot more LHD. I'd rather have a good LHD on the right than an average RHD on the right.

I'd trade Girardi for a 1st rounder+ and move Staal to the other side to give us:

McD-Staal
Moore-Stralman
DZ-McIlrath*

*assuming he's ready. Otherwise resign Eminger or sign a cheapish RHD free agent like Zidlicky, Ian White, etc.