View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 05:08 PM
MS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Yeah, Florida struck it lucky in getting Vanbiesbrouck. Really helped the team become good rather quickly. Not to derail the thread or anything but if the league expands by the end of this decade I wonder what rules they would use for the expansion draft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
there's a story there too. vancouver obviously had its starter in mclean, and wanted to keep its reliable backup kay whitmore too. so they traded longtime canuck defenseman doug lidster to the rangers for beezer, knowing that he would obviously be the first player picked in the expansion draft. NYR knew they were going to lose beezer anyway, having chosen to stick with richter, and picked up a veteran depth defenseman for nothing really. as i recall, their other young goalie, WHL star/future canuck/future swedish stamp corey hirsch, was ineligible to be plucked in the expansion draft because he was too young or hadn't played in enough games or possibly due to being on a list of protected prospects-- i can't remember the exact details of that. but sadly, lidster ends up winning a cup against us and even played all seven finals games and scored two goals after replacing the late alexander karpovtsev (then a rookie) near the end of the NJ series.
The fact that Vanbiesbrouck ended up available in that expansion draft still fascinates me. There's no way it should have happened.

It isn't like he was in a career rut at the time - he was considered one of the top 5-8 goalies in a (now) 26-team league. Several top teams at the time were being let down by rotten goaltending - Detroit (Vanbiesbrouck's hometown team) especially, Washington, Quebec, Philadelphia, and several others. None of those teams made a quality offer.

Instead Vancouver gets him for a song basically to be expansion draft fodder. Mindboggling.

How many Cups does Detroit win if they acquire Vanbiesbrouck in 1993?

MS is online now   Reply With Quote