View Single Post
Old
06-28-2013, 11:09 PM
tempest2i
Feral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
He'd still have to clear waivers and I don't see that happening.
I think that if Vancouver is considering a buyout that means the Canucks are only being offered trade scenarios for Luongo that involve salary coming back to the Canucks.

Now, if that is the case, that would mean that the Canucks are not being offered:

- trades that involve no salary coming back (i.e., picks only); or
- trades that involve any player currently under contract that is not a buyout candidate.

Because at this point, I feel that the Canucks would complete any deal that meets either of those two options.

If the Canucks are only being offered deals that involve $ heading back
and
No team is currently willing to take Luongo on without sending salary back
then
I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that Luongo could clear waivers.

For all intents and purposes, trading a 6th or 7th round pick for Luongo is the same as picking him off waivers. Any team considering taking him on waivers, other than possibly Florida (due to them basically having first crack at Luongo) would offer up the basically worthless pick to ensure that they get Luongo.

edit -----
a third option is the Canucks are being offered deals that involve salary retention by the Canucks

Last edited by tempest2i: 06-28-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: obvious scenario I missed
tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote