View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Being that I believe that Hank's current contract is already detrimental to the overall balance/depth of the lineup, the answer to your question is without a doubt "yes". The guy is hands down the best player at his position, but I just don't think it's possible to surround a goalie that is making that much money with a team that is capable of winning it all. I wish I had the time to do a rigorous statistical analysis, but my sense is that the variation in goalies from #1 to say, #13, is not large enough to warrant the difference in pay.
I agree. I love Hank as much as the next guy but the reality that's beginning to rear it's ugly head in Rangerland is that the difference between skaters is beating the difference between goalies every time these days. Your chances of winning the Cup with a great team plus Corey Crawford is much better than your chances of winning the Cup with a mediocre team plus Henrik Lundqvist. And the problem is Lundqvist's salary and ability to drag scum to the playoffs and ultimately low draft picks prevents us from being anything but a mediocre team.

That's not to say you don't need great goaltending to win the Cup, you do. But once you're in the top half in the league in goalies, where exactly they rank from 1-15 becomes negligible and the rest is up to the skaters.