View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 05:55 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
Trading Staal for a first round pick is dumb. He's what you HOPE a top 5 pick develops into! And he's in his prime.

What are the chances you get a player that is just as good? 15%?

I think people are worried we're on the verge of losing another defensive regular (Sauer) and his value has dropped disproportionately. If his eye is a question mark, we're not getting a top 5 for him. No GM would be stupid enough to do that. If his eye is fine, you don't trade a franchise defensive who looks on the verge of getting even better for an educated guess.
Personally I wouldn't do it either. I'd be working Del Zotto and figuring on adding something. That being said Staal has missed significant portions of the last two seasons with head injuries. And though it's debatable I think McDonagh is as good as Staal defensively and has more upside in other areas of the game. If I were to rank our d-men McDonagh would come in first. The emergence of Moore into the mix is another factor--the perception of him maybe as a McDonagh clone and then Scuderi--sounds like our defense should continue to be really solid.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote