View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 07:19 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
If Staal were traded, Id like to see Scuderi here. Hell, if Del Zotto is moved, I'd like to see Scuderi here. Great bottom-pairing defenseman, excellent penalty killer, tough as nails, and a veteran with two cup rings.

Now, I'd be intrigued as to what Staal could return. I could honestly see #5 for Staal, it makes sense; not because his name is Staal and because it's the Hurricanes, it's because the Rangers effectively clear cap space with this move and also secure an asset that is most likely NHL ready next year in a third/fourth line role (READ: Sean Monahan, Valeri Nichuskin, potentially Elias Lindholm). The Hurricanes also get what they're looking for in a top-notch defenseman. Could probably get Caroline to throw something else in there, as well.
I don't see how this makes sense for either team. The Rangers are trading Staal to create cap space? We could have bought out Richards and had tons of cap space. Richards is still expected to be bought out next summer, barring an injury, and we don't need additional cap space to sign our current RFAs.

Carolina has cap issues of their own. Why would they trade the #5 pick for a player that may or may not be able to return to form following an eye injury? If anything, they would want to trade someone like Skinner (whose name has been mentioned in trade rumors) because he makes a lot of money and has had injury concerns as well.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote