View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 09:12 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I don't think that it's purely a cap move. Staal is a fan favorite. There needs to be a justifiable reason to trade him besides (he may or may not bolt to Carolina at season's end). This has been a legitimate possibility since the Cane's traded for Jordan, whether we believed it would happen or not.

My guess is that upon beginning extension talks with Henrik this weekend the Rangers must have tried to reach out to Staal's camp too and were not reassured that he would stay (at the very least). The most justifiable reason they can say to the public is that they need cap room and he's far too expensive to keep with all the RFA's coming up in the next 3 years. Personally, I think the organization loves Marc and would not want to bad mouth him to the media (if his true intentions are to play with his brothers).
He can't bolt to Carolina at season's end because he's under contract with NYR for 2 more years. He's also on a sweetheart deal, so any talk of needing to move him for cap purposes are bunk.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote