View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
lets for a moment forget about Richards and how bad he was for the past 2 seasons.

How can anyone justify to me us not buying him out when these players will be UFA on July 5:

Nathan Horton - Already said he will become UFA. He is only 28, Richards is 33! Horton is also a scoring winger, which is what we really need. We already have Brassard, Stepan, Miller and Boyle at Center.

Lecavalier - Same age as Richards but much more physical and has more left in the tank. Would also cost less, I doubt he gets anything close to $6.6

Ribeiro - Same age as Richards but coming off a great point per game season! Way better than Richards at this point in time, and again should not cost $6.6 even as a UFA.

Ryder - also 33, but coming off a strong 16 goal season and is again a winger, which is what we need. Also very good on the PP. Again will be cheaper than $6.6, not even close to that.

Boyes - 2 years younger than Richards. Only got paid $1 mill last season so again wont come close to $6.6

Derek Roy - Only 30, still has some good years left in him. Again wont come close to $6.6

There are other UFAs I like, but these stand out to me the most.

You can argue with me about who you like and don't like from this group. However, I'm pretty sure all of you will agree that at least half of these players are better and cheaper (and often younger) options than Brad Richards! Its not even a debate!
Why do Ranger fans feel the need to covet crap to replace the crap we have via the free agent market?

Pocket the cap space - flexibility - wait for the right opportunity to come along that matches the vision* for this team going forward.

*this assumes there is a longterm vision for roster construction and team philosophy, which there isn't/hasn't seemed to be.