Thread: Boucher
View Single Post
Old
01-08-2004, 09:34 AM
VaFlyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
The goals allowed average isn't too shabby for Esche or Boucher, but the striking stat that I always look at is Save %. You could have a GAA of under two, but have a horrible save percentage say if you were to face very few shots in games like Mr. Esche... not to say his Save% is horrible, because it's good... but it has a lot to do with team defense.
First, I want to say congrats to Boucher on his great accomplishment. I too was a big fan and was sad that he was the player traded at the time, although I understand it from a business and hockey perspective.

Let me make this point though. The 2 stats cannot be looked at independently. They have to coexist. If they do not, you end up evaluating players purely on one number or another and not as he is playing as a whole. If you face 100 shots in 1 game and only give up 3 goals, your save % .970 is going to be awesome but your GAA is 3.00 which is only average. But would anyone argue that you having saved 97 shots in one game wasn't spectacular? On the other hand if you face only 4 shots for a .750 save % and give up 1 goal for a 1.00 GAA does that mean you played badly? NO. It may depend on what the shot was. It may not have been stoppable. Maybe the other team pulled its goalie and already had a 2 man advantage leaving Mario or Gretzky standing alone in front with no one guarding them. Maybe the 1 shot was a penalty shot. The point is you can't go by numbers alone to evaluate players, especially goalies. If you watch Boucher right now, he must see the puck as a beach ball, that he can't help but stop, but if you watched him earlier in the year, you would think the net was the entire width of the ice because he could barely stop anything. I am not saying I wouldn't bring Boucher back for the right price, just that Esche has played really well for us and right now I am happy with him as a goalie.