View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I find it difficult to get behind this pick. If the Flyers had gone off the board to get a forward, I wouldn't love it, but I'd trust them due to their record with 1st round forwards. The flyers' record with defensemen, specifically 1st round defensemen is horrendous though, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt here from me.

One of the things I've noticed with teams that consistently do well in the draft (across all four major sports) is that they draft high upside players when they have the privilege of picking early in the 1st round. Some teams might deviate from this and take a safe "defense only" defenseman if he's close to NHL ready, and this is acceptable, if the team in question is a contender. But very rarely will you see good teams drafting guys with limited upside early in the draft, let alone a player who has limited upside AND is several years away from being NHL ready.

But that's exactly what the Flyers have done here. They drafted a guy with limited offensive upside who will not be NHL ready for at least 2 years.

I think fans have a right to expect more out of the 11th overall pick in a good draft.

I also think the Flyers did themselves a disservice by not trading back if this is the guy they absolutely wanted. They could have gotten him at #20.
Not with the way defensemen came off the board this year.

I thought Morrissey would go 18-25.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote