View Single Post
Old
06-30-2013, 07:17 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
A few things. We got the 1st or 2nd best rated player in the draft at the number 4 position. Win.

We got a kid who solidifies our top 4 on the blue line for many years. Win.

One of our biggest problems last year was our second and third pairings couldn't move the puck out of our zone effectively. When we had Suter/Weber and Josi/Klein it was never an issue. Last year we only had Weber/Josi who were effective at it. Adding Jones to play with either Weber or Klein should rectify one of these problems. When you aren't able to move the puck from the defensive zone to the neutral zone, it's hard to build any sort of attack. This to me was a huge area of concern for us. We also had some issues on the PP from our defense and now we have 4 guys on the blue line that can play the PP effectively in Weber, Josi, Ellis and Jones.

Another thing to consider is if you look at our pipeline offensively, I really don't think we're as bad as everyone makes us out to be. Poile has stocked the cupboard pretty well and we're already seeing the benefits of guys like Bourque and Beck in the lineup. In another year or so I suspect Budish is making his way to the team and bringing some serious size with him. After that, we've got Aberg, Leipsic, Vessey and Stepan as possibilities. While they may not be dynamic players like any of the top 3 we didn't get today, Boston proved you can get far with a solid team that plays their system as well as anyone. Add to that we have the beast on D, Jones and Ekholm who are also big kids and what we've been clamoring for on the back end is reality, big guys with skill who are mobile. Honestly, name me a better top 4 in the NHL with our addition of Jones? There isn't one. We also have Rinne in net. Top 5 goalie in the world.

We get Wilson back healthy. We added Forsberg who is as skilled as anyone we've ever had. We've got Legwand and Fisher who will chip in 40-50 points each. Beck and Bourque will do the same. Hornqvist is good for 20-25 goals. If SK is around I think he rebounds. I'm wishing we had upper level talent up front but this team is going to be better than most think. Maybe I'm an optimist but I see a very bright future with this team and for those of you who worry about Jones not being ready, he's ready.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote