View Single Post
Old
07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who cares that we traded Dubinsky? My God, are you really going to consider him this great young piece that we moved and now regret? Is this real life right now? And Erixon? Again, who cares? We got Moore back when we dealt an underperforming vet. So funny that you don't even mention that (obviously you won't mention it since it is contrary to whatever point you're trying to make). And we also got Brassard (I'll take him over Anisimov). Yet clearly we are all about moving kids for vets
It's not only about moving young pieces for vets. It's about having zero plan in place for the future. Like I said, how many roster overhauls does this team need?

Quote:
And I love the comparison to the Flames. Because we have similarly aged players our teams are clearly so alike. Wow. Phaneuf's career fell off a cliff (to the point where he had to be moved), Bouwmeester just isn't that good, and Regher aged like Drury the minute he got close to 30 (that type of game will do that). The only comparison I can see is Girardi going the way of Regher eventually.
Phaneuf and Bouwmeester are still top pairing defensemen, their careers did not fall off cliffs. They still log top tier ice time on two playoff teams. Phaneuf and Bouwmeester are very comparable to Staal and McDonagh, in fact, I'd say they were much higher regarded during that stage in their careers. Both were expected to be named to Team Canada at the Olympics and both had high Norris finishes. They were more polished defenders at that age and time than McDonagh and Staal are right now.

Quote:
We have a much better, overall core of home-grown and young players than the Flames did at that time. But of course you leave them all out since that wouldn't support your argument.
I agree with you, but I still see a lot of similarities between the build-up of both teams.