View Single Post
Old
07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Suter, Kronwall, Chara, Seabrook, Phaneuf, and Weber. Those are a few names of elite defenders who don't have "hands". How do they put up 40+ points a year? Because they are smart and have excellent hockey sense.

I'm not saying Morin will ever develop an offensive game, but to count it out because he doesn't have smooth hands or puck skills is just totally ignorant. Most elite defenders in the NHL don't have these skills. What they do have is elite hockey sense. That's what the scouts are looking for in these picks. It goes far beyond the flash and dance of Letang and Subban. There are many defenders who had the flashiness of Karlsson, Subban, and Letang but never panned out because they didn't think the game well.
I would think that if he truly has promising offensive instincts and "thinks the game" well, he would be putting his tools to work against a level of competition that he towers over and can dominate physically. Weber, Chara and Myers are three outliers in almost 2 decades of drafting. Don't see how the others work as comps, and I think you are underselling the level of talent that is required to put up points consistently at the NHL level.

Also, if you are lowering the bar such that you'll give Morin 7-10 years to develop 2-way ability, that effectively reduces the upside of the pick, since you are going way past ELC years into UFA territory.

Last edited by Damaged Goods: 07-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote