View Single Post
Old
07-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ive pointed out the good and the bad, as well as the ugly. So far. Which is the subject of the thread. I dont see how that is out of line. Mact made promises he hasnt been able to deliver on. That is pretty plain. The draft was one of the core opportunities for us to fill holes in the lineup. Mact has said there will be turnover of approx eight players in the lineup. So far we have possibly added one in Belov, who is a relative unknown. More unknown than such additions like Strudwick, Foster, Potter, etc.
Expressing what you want to do isn't the same as a promise.

Quote:
Ive addressed Belov earlier. We dont know if he addresses a significant need or not at this point. As for Slepyshev and Yakimov, they may or may not ever set foot in NA with the intent to play hockey. As per the bolded, what is it that makes them "great bets"?
Belov isn't an entirely known commodity, but I think that it's fair to say that his game should translate fairly well into him being a solid addition to the blueline without giving up any assets for him. He adds an immediate physical element to the blueline that we are lacking. The KHL is the second best league in the world, after all.

As for the others, MacGregor indicated that Slepyshev and Yakimov are keen to play in the NHL. Given that Yakimov attended Yakipov's camp, I think that it is likely that the Oilers have some inside info on his willingness to play in NA. It appears that the Russian picks were a part of the Oilers draft strategy and hence why they were willing to trade down with the 37th pick.

Quote:
Until yesterday Ive never heard of two of them. Houck is decent, but still a big question mark as to whether or not he will ever play a game in the nhl. Personally I would have preferred to address a need with a more promising player such as Jarry or possibly Zykov, who was rated by some as a first round pick.
A second round pick has about a 1 in 4 shot of being an NHL regular. MacTavish visited Russia with MacGregor and some others prior to the draft, so one can assume that these players were under observation and that the Oilers were also doing their due diligence on them.

I don't expect that you should have heard of them, as you're not an NHL scout, but when you read about these players, you should be able to assess that there is some intelligence behind these picks and that there are some solid reasons for drafting them as potential diamond in the rough picks.

Quote:
Talk is cheap and so far that is pretty much all he has done. Despite specifically talking about using the draft and some of our picks to address IMMEDIATE needs on the club, his so called "bold" moves. There was none of that yesterday. Strike one.
I think that MacT'd agree with you that talk is cheap. He's said it himself. The trouble with making deals is that you need other people to be in the same mindset to make a deal. I imagine that trust is key and finding an appropriate match for needs. I think that if you rush into deals as an NHL GM, then you get fleeced. MacTavish was in the midst of every deal that would potentially improve the Oilers. It's about a willingness and having appropriate limits on what one is willing to give up as well. Trading within one's conference is difficult (Schneider), and MacT apparently put in a lot of leg work on Coburn which may come to a fruition later or not at all. Teams are likely to be much more free to make deals until all options are first explored.

This franchise is on the way up. It could be sunk quite easily by someone who deals away significant parts of the future for more immediate success.

Quote:
I havent been given the opportunity. Give me a couple million dollars (Ill settle for 500k) and a Rolodex with all the gm contact numbers and then you could assess my performance. Of course I wouldnt be foolish enough to broadcast all the moves I planned to make beforehand, but to each his own I guess.
I think that you're misreading my meaning here. I was more implying how impatient you are being with MacT as GM.

Quote:
Nobody put a gun to Craig's head telling him to "give us ze information", he volunteered that all on his own, most likely in an attempt to assuage the masses from donning pitchforks and torches and storming the castle. These guys have been in charge more or less for the balance of 10+ years. They really have nobody to blame but themselves for the mess they find themselves in.
No, but I like that he was being forthright with the fans. I think the fans deserve to know the direction that he wants to take the team. Do you think based on what he's told us that it is incorrect?

Quote:
No more are they constrained by internal budgets that pale in comparison to their peers. They have a level economic playing field for the most part. As level as its been in the last 25yrs. The time for excuse making is done. We need results. Or gtfo of the way and get someone who is qualified to clean up the mess they have made.
Here's where we differ: I don't think it's fair to include MacT as a participant in "the mess they have made." He wasn't GM after 2006, when the team was gutted after the playoffs. He was the coach.

Anyhow, I enjoyed your post!

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote