View Single Post
Old
10-22-2006, 10:15 AM
EmptyNetter

vCash: 500
Congratulations for the goals and the compliments.
It sounds to me that:
  1. You'll always be a defenseman at heart.
  2. Spending time playing RW hasn't hurt your defensive skills at all.
  3. Playing forward has given you more opportunity to develop your shooting and puck carrying skills than you would have had as a defenseman.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like you have to make up your mind what position you play right now. A friend told me he used to do business with Brian Leetch's father. Brian grew up playing forward. His dad, who was a late cut for the US Olympic team, told him to learn to play defense because his own lack of defensive play was a deciding factor in his being cut. Apparently his dad's advice served him well. Besides, the players who win the Norris trophy are almost always have a strong offensive game to complement their solid defensive play. I don't know how many years they played as forward but they must have put long hours into practicing that part of their game.

More relevant to your situation, my coworker's son attended Tufts University (Div 3) on a hockey scholarship. He had always played defense but his coach moved him to center. Shifting positions is probably more common than you think -- nobody says you can't play defense later if you play RW now. For the record I play defense and have a ton of respect for the postition .

Hope that helps.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote