View Single Post
Old
07-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He could have been a number 3, maybe a number 2. He was so smooth out there. Great skater, great positioning, active stick, was just a good player who would have broken through. His death really had a traumatic effect on a number of players within the organization at the time. If I remember correctly, one of them had a nervous breakdown and another one ended up quitting hockey because he became an alcoholic trying to forget what happened.
I believe Francis Belanger had a full on nervous breakdown after, completely blamed himself as he was driving the boat... he went from one of the Phantoms best rookies the year before to a complete mess who couldn't play a game, then fell into alcoholism and substance abuse, the Flyers cut him for it, ended up sorting it out a few years later. Still plays in the LNAH.

Looking it up now it seems Chernov did not seem as affected at the time, even though Tertyshny was his best friend, he had a better season the year after and looked to be progressing well. But he said more recently that it killed his passion for playing hockey, and after that it was just a job, and he wanted a new start. Ended up having an ok career in Russia.

I read Zelepukin was badly affected as well, he was not there but a great friend of Tertyshny.

I also read a while back that Tertyshny's son played for the Junior Flyers and now the Valley Forge Minutemen... and that the Flyers Organization has helped out the family a lot over the years. And people say were unclassy!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote