View Single Post
Old
07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He said he was going to do x and instead he did y. Semantics don't change that.
Undoubtedly, he was unsuccessful with what he had hoped and was attempting to do at the draft. I'm not disputing that, merely pointing out that he did do some good things and that not a lot of teams moved much of anything significant. The period of major movement hasn't occurred yet. Teams are trying to mitigate losses under the cap crunch.

Quote:
The KHL is a much different game than the NHL. Not a lot of body contact over there. How many of us had even heard of Belov before the Oilers were reported to be in the running to sign him? He has been sold as a physical guy with a cannon from the point. What he does over here is yet to be seen and any proclamations of slotting in the top four are premature.
Belov has a style well suited to the NA game. He hits hard and frequently punishing the opposition with his physical play. This is needed on the Oilers blueline. He's been likened to Staois, which is a solid NHL defenseman.

Quote:
They are both currently under contract in the khl. Whether or not they come over here is yet to be seen. Even if they do, the minute they find it less than appealing they can always go back to the khl. That is the risk that you sign on for with these players.
They are both under contract for a year. The KHL is a good league, better than the AHL, so it should help their development, making them more NHL ready. Both players have expressed interest, as MacGregor indicated, in coming to play in the NHL. Yes, the could always go to the KHL, but it's no longer simply Russian players leaving the NHL to play in other leagues, and usually players who leave do so because they don't find success in the NHL. Hihgly competitive players usually want to play in the most elite league in the world.

Quote:
Ive heard of both of them and have seen both play, although only in international play/Subway series. Not particularly struck by either of them, but I'm sure they have seen them more than myself as well as live of course. That said we don't have a very good record for finding anything useful outside the first round as Everest has already pointed out.
Here are some picks that I think hold some promise, who were drafted outside of the first round since 2008 (when MacGregor took over as head scout): Hartikainen (6th round), Lander (2nd round), Roy (5th round), Marincin (2nd round), Blain (4th round), Davidson (6th round), Musil (2nd round), Simpson (4th round), Gernat (5th round), Khaira (3rd round), Zharkov (3rd round), and Gustafsson (4th round). I'd suggest that their are some potentially useful NHLers in that bunch.

Quote:
If he agreed, then why did he do it? Either he was stretching the truth in some pr exercise gone wrong or he really believed he could accomplish something significant at the draft. The exact opposite happened. That is significant and should be noted imo.
I don't think it was a PR stunt; I think that it was MacT having a frank and honest discussion with fans about what he wanted to accomplish. I'm not sure why you spin it that way, but it's fine if that's how you see it. I won't convince you otherwise.

Quote:
I believe he had a hand in personnel decisions. We saw that with Renney in Oil Change. I believe they acquired Potter on his recommendation. I cant believe Mactavish never enjoyed the same access. The point being Mactavish had a pretty good kick at the cat already. Eight years. And now he is back for more. Again with zero experience. Im of the opinion that fans should be demanding more from the organization. I think Lowe, Mact and anyone/everyone else associated with them have had MORE than enough time to right the ship.
Potter was acquired on Renney's recommendation, because he had previously played for Renney, iirc.

Quote:
Seven years and counting without even one solitary playoff appearance is more than any fan should have to bear, without significant change, and that means cleaning house, top to bottom. Its time for real change. Not picking out a scapegoat at the end of the year and sacrificing him on the Gretzky statue and pretending that's good enough.
It's been a long stint. However, making trades for the sake of making trades won't improve--and are likely to worsen--the club. Trades usually have to somehow make sense for both sides. Edmonton's trouble, it seems, is that they have a lot of untouchable young talent and a roster with a bottom six that no one really wants. Elite talent vs. quite a few subpar roster players. MacT would have a lot of dance partners, if he decided to move one of the core pieces. The difficulty for MacT is trying to improve without moving core pieces. I'm alright with keeping our core pieces in place, drafting well, and evolving this team. If MacT exhausts all his options first, then I'm okay with moving a core piece or two fill out the roster. We are nearing that time, but I don't want to get burned on it either, and I would rather MacT did what he could to fill out the roster in other ways.

Quote:
In the end we get what we deserve. If we keep buying what these guys are selling then we aren't going to see real change. I'm not buying what they are selling.
Again, we differ. MacT has a hard road ahead of him, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack. I don't doubt his intelligence or commitment to making this a better hockey team. I'm aboard to see this thing through to reap the rewards. I really don't want to see John Davidson-like impatience cost us a key core player. Any player moves need to be intelligently made, improving the club for the present with an eye on the future.

We are very near the end of the rebuilding process. I think that the Oilers will make the playoffs this season under MacT and Eakins, and I would be disappointed if MacT succumbed to fan pressure and dealt any of our core players to get there, when with a little bit more patience, we can have our cake and eat it too.

Help on defense is arriving from our system: Klefbom, Marincin, and Fedun this coming season and Nurse, Gernat, and possibly one or two of Simpson, Blain, and/or Davidson the following season. With that stockpile of capable d-men, MacTavish can begin to interest other GMs in some deals.

MacT has a hard road ahead of him, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack 10 weeks in. I don't doubt his intelligence or commitment to making this a better hockey team.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote