View Single Post
Old
07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Really help shows who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.
Conversely, here are some thoughts when the Rangers got some big tough guys like everyone is seemingly clamoring for.

Dale Weise

Quote:
not only that he is a winger with size we need that.
Quote:
After seeing how soft our forwards were in front of the net, I can't see how this was a bad pick.
Jason Wilson

Quote:
I really like that we went for size
Quote:
although one thing he does add to the organization is size

Randy McNaught

Quote:
I kind of always wanted the Rangers to have draft like this, where they finally addressed the toughness issue that has plagued them forever.
Quote:
I haven't been this proud since the the '94 Cup...which was filled with Goons, and power forwards.

Why it took 20 years to figure that out again is beyond me.
^ It should take two guesses maximum to figure out who uttered this brilliance.

This is not all to say that drafting bigger guys is a bad thing. The point is that it's stupid to celebrate/ridicule a draft pick based on a tape measure and what a couple paragraphs you found through a google search say. The whole Animal Farm-esque mentality of "big and tough Good. Small and soft bad" is ****ing stupid and meaningless. The NHL draft isn't Build-A-Bear. There's a very limited supply of players and of that limited supply an even more limited number will ever make it to the NHL. Gordie Clark can wish for a 6'4 goal scoring power forward at 80th overall all he wants but if the clearly superior value at that spot is a particular 5'11 winger then he needs to grab him.