07-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Hunter Gathers
Raise hell and . . .

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
jon.

i generally agree with most of what you say. i usually find you pretty well informed.

this time, you are flat out incorrect. i guess its a matter of semantics. power forward, i guess, can have many definitions.

those 3 i mentioned most definitely are power forward type players.

the kassian/biggs type player, although easy to fall in love with, generally does best in a bottom 6 role. the thought of a guy who can fight and grind and score goals all at the same time is rare, to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Callahan isn't a power forward because hes 5'11 and can be out muscled by most defenders. Kreider is bigger than most guys he plays against. He is still developing, but he does show in spurts how physical and strong he is along the boards, and how powerful his lower body is especially
I just don't see how he's a powerforward. The only reason you guys seem to be using that term is because he's 6'4" 220 or so. Size is not the only factor. You actually have to play like a power forward.

It's why Nash is only a bit of a PF. And he's more engaged in front of the net than Kreider ever will be.

To me, Kreider is a big sniper. That's it. Not a powerforward. In fact, I'd be willing to say that if he can't succeed as a sniper then he will have to reinvent his game and play more like a powerforward (ala fast 3rd liner who hits). His game was never geared towards being a PF in college. He was never a PF in the AHL. And I don't think he'll play like one in the NHL as long as he can be successful shooting the puck. He's so much more effective when he's NOT playing a PF role.

And offda -- there is a reason that those types of players are so rare. Genuine PF prospects are highly valued and extremely rare. This is re-defining the term to fit a player.