Thread: Player Discussion: Simon Gagne remains unsigned
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Gagne can match up very well against the other teams top line with Couturier. He has the speed, the two way play and from the sounds of things he would be willing to take a discount to stay on the Flyers. He would be a great leader to have around for the young guys as well.
I think this is the reason that we will resign him. I think 4-5 mil for 2 years is probably right. It's bit high for me considering what limited cap space we have remaining but Gags is still a decent 2-way forward and still a better option than guys like McGinn.

I think the lines will be something like this:

Hartnell - G - Voracek
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Gags - Coots - Talbot/McGinn
Rinaldo - Laughton - McGinn/Talbot

I think we kick the tires on Vinnie but I just don't see us offering him the money he'll be looking for and hopefully we DON'T sign him. He's still a good player but honestly, where would we fit him in??? Schenn really should stay at center and if we do add Vinnie then there is no chance in hell of Coots moving up into the top 6 (again, where I believe he SHOULD be).

What I would like to see (but I know it'll never happen) would be for Schenn to play on the top line with Hartnell and Giroux. Hartnell and Schenn would do the dirty work in the corners in the offensive zone and G assumes the c enter responsibilities. In the defensive zone you let Schenn take on the center responsibilities (the more defensive minded on them) while G and Hartnell cover the corners and the points. I leaves G open for the breakout more, opening up the offense on that line, and Schenn can still be the defensive responsible on of the group.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote