View Single Post
07-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Mike York fan club
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The major knock doesn't seem to be that he's just a beanpole. It's that he doesn't seem to have the desire or the wherewithal to play big. It's early, but if he's not playing that way against guys smaller than him now I'm not sure he'll ever be that player. And that's why he's a 3rd rounder. My preference is usually stay away from these gentle giants unless the skill is outstanding. And 'outstanding' is yet to be seen. Like I said, it's early.

And that's disregarding the fact he was a standout in Edmonton pee wee hockey, and is the son of a former Oiler GM. Reeks of yet another Edmonton Glen fetish pick.
Obviously this kid is not going to turn into Lucic, but from what I've read on him it sounds like he's willing to put himself in the corners, in the slot, high traffic areas, etc, so it doesn't sound like he's some wimp out there ignoring all contact. It's not like he isn't strong on his skates.

Not trying to criticize by saying this, but it just sounds like a case of people trying to poke holes in this kid because he's not destroying people on hits and he's 6'2'' (which I don't find surprising considering he's probably carried the offensive play in juniors and doesn't weight much, so why would he be throwing himself around?).

I've never actually seen him play, as I'm sure 99.9% of us haven't either, I just don't see the concern with this pick. IMO this was an incredibly safe choice, so that to me is a fair criticism if you don't like this choice.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote