View Single Post
Old
07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's a little off to be honest. While he didn't put up big numbers in Rimouski, if you watch the video on Morin (which I've been watching a lot of since the Flyers drafted him), you can see three things that most offensive/two-way defensemen have - a great outlet pass to transition to offense, a rocket of a point shot and hockey IQ. Bigger defensemen don't always put up great numbers in their draft year. Marc Staal is one of the best defensemen in the game and he only put up 26 points his draft year. Ryan McDonagh only put up 12 points in the NCAA the year after he was drafted. Shea Weber only put up 18 points in his draft year. Zdeno Chara only put up 22 points the year after he was drafted. Jared Cowen only put up 21 points his draft year. Tyler Myers put up 19 points his draft year. Victor Hedman only put up 21 points his draft year. You can go through the list of defensemen and see that Morin compares favorably with a lot of guys who he is compared to and you know why? It's because Morin has something that all these players have - the hockey IQ to be in the right place at the right time and he's got the offensive skills as well. They haven't been refined, but they're there. He's got a great outlet pass just like all these guys and he's got a rocket of a shot. He's going to get lots of playing time this upcoming year and he's going to be used in all situations. The offensive skill will come together.

Once again, you need to watch video on Morin. He's got offensive skills. Also, having the smarts and the knowledge to play the game goes a long way in developing the offensive side. Chara was a gangly player like Morin is at the same age. He needed to grow into his frame and once he did, everything came together. While I'm not the biggest Morin fan (simply because of the time it will take for him to reach his potential in the NHL), I can certainly see and appreciate that he has the skills and smarts you can't teach. This is a kid who is 17. He's going to need additional time to grow and fill out his frame. Right now, you're looking at a 6-7, 200 pound kid who is probably going to grow maybe another inch or two and probably put on 40 to 45 pounds. Once he's comfortable in his frame, you'll see everything come together and once it does, he's going to be a monster.

OK, a couple of things yet again. First, the Flyers rarely and I mean rarely miss on first round picks. They've got one of the better scouting departments in place and they know what they're doing in the first round. Second, this is a guy who has shown much more hockey IQ than Coburn has. If there was one thing about Coburn that came out during his draft year, it was his hockey making decisions. You don't read about that with Morin. He's got the mental game down. If Morin doesn't develop an offensive game, at the very least, you're looking at a potential shut down/defensive guy in the mold of Derian Hatcher. He played 16 seasons and was one of the best in the game.

I get that you don't like Morin, fine. But don't dismiss the kid before he's had a chance to develop.

I honestly think we should lock this thread after this post. Nothing more needs to be said. Excellent post.

Let's shut this down and revisit in another year or two. BCF16 wins the thread.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote