Thread: Hip Checks
View Single Post
Old
10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I have actually been working with my son on this lately. I try and "give" the outside. I don't know what age you are coaching (my son is a pee wee) but most kids will take the easy road. At worst I line up my outside shoulder on the opponents inside shoulder. Sometimes I will give even more if I think it's a guy who really doesn't want the puck all that bad. As soon as the offensive player gets his skates past the outstretched stick of the defenseman he is done. He can't cut back in front of the D man because the stick is in the way and he would have to stop so he has to go down the path you laid out for him. Try and match speed and make a hard cut with your inside edge of your inside foot just after the offensive guy passes your stick blade. I try and make my cut as close to 90 degrees as possible. If you aren't close to 90 degrees the guy will glance off you and get by. Bend you knees deep as you make your cut and I flatten my back like a table. Idealy my hip catches the guy between his cup and his hip if I am in open ice, that way it opens his hips and he spins around before falling. If it's against the boards just block his path as much as possible and if you get real lucky he will jump and you will have a highlight film hit. If not you give him a good bump and completely stop him in his tracks. Like I said before the most important thing is 100% commitment. The kids will miss a few times before they get it and they have to know that if they miss they won't ride the bench the rest of the game. I practice the technique at very slow speeds with kids to avoid injury. If they have the technique nailed then they will get the speed with time.......Good Luck!!
Outstanding....This is what I wanted! Thank you for the great tips, I am going to copy and paste this to all my players. I am currently coaching High School. However, because of the new rules, we are getting hit a lot on penalties because of that free hand. So I want them to work on hip checks because you are right, they are more impressive when they work. They don't seem hard to do, in fact I pretty much told them about using that inside "C" cut and the body stances, but when to execute at what point, I wasn't sure. The 90 Degree tip sounds like the execution point. Thanks for your help.

Headcoach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote