Thread: Confirmed with Link: Keith Ballard bought out
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think this also highlights that Gillis isn't very good at making trades under duress. He should take note of this and adjust accordingly. If he's more pro-active, as MS mentions, then he can avoid placing himself in such situations and can stem the tide before it rises.
I think you nailed it.
My problem with the way he handled the goalies is that he said the CBA changed everything. And before that it was the fact that other GM's wouldn't trade because they knew the CBA was up for negotiation.
He should have recognized that the CBA was likely to reduce cap room and could impact existing contracts. The time to act was much earlier. He should have also recognized that other GM's viewed Luongo's value differently than him and that the perceived value was not going to increase after a season of being Schneider's back up. His stubborness an dinability to be flexible and change his mind really hurt him here.
He backed himself into a corner and eventually had two options; Buy out Luongo or trade Schneider at the last minute. I'm sure Aqulinini had already told him that option 1 was not even an option so he made the inevitable trade once the penny dropped that no trade for Luongo was possible.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote