View Single Post
Old
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm curious who our chief competition is going to be? Sweden? Russia? I have a feeling Russia will crumble under the pressure, but goal out they are looking better than in 2010. Sweden will also be very solid.
Sweden to me is a tweener right now.

They have some very solid vets, but their star players are getting older and many of their young guns simply arent ready yet.

Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Sedin x 2, and Franzen aren't getting any younger. These guys have carried the torch for some time. Backstrom, Steen, Eriksson, and Berglund are all vets now who will be expected to carry more of the load.

The issue for Sweden is if their kids like : Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Landeskog, Hedman, Larsson, etc will be ready to step up. If some of these kids can take that next step this coming season then yes Sweden will be a top contender...if they are still another year or two away from making an impact, Sweden could be a middle of the road team. They have solid defense and goaltending, but they could have trouble scoring overall.

I really do like Sweden's defense as a mobile and talented group. They will be tough to play against no doubt about it. I cant wait to see how everything shakes out once again.