View Single Post
Old
07-02-2013, 10:05 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
If we can't get anything for Blum or Ellis that's two more first round picks that Poile blew. I am still mad we took Pickard over Eberle the year we took Wilson. Poile is a decent GM but he has had some major blunders the last few years. He and Trotz need to be on the hot seat this coming season.
I love how people can look back at mistakes in the draft when it's years later. Anyone can look at any draft and say, I wish we took that player instead of so and so. It's easy to do. For all the bellyaching that happens around here, he's found a lot of gems in later rounds so if he blows some first round picks now and again, he certainly has made up for it with his later round picks. Let's see, he picks a guy who's been nominated for two Norris trophies in the second round and a Vezina nominated goalie in either the 6th or 7th round, might have even been the 8th round. Yeah, he sucks at drafting.

And what has Eberle done in Edmonton to help his team make the playoffs? Since he's been there they've picked number 1 3 years in a row and picked 7th this year.

I've gone back and looked at drafts where I say, darn, I wish we could've landed that player. Funny thing is, there's no way to know if that player pans out playing for us. Yeah, we could've drafted any number of players over the years but we haven't and we've had a pretty competitive team over the years. It's not perfect but to lambast him for not being a good GM is ridiculous.

And to say Ellis is a bust is a bit of a stretch right now. We've brought in Housley to work with him and how could Ellis not learn from a Hall of Fame player? I don't know if you had the pleasure of watching Housley but I did and he was one of the three most dynamic players from the back end when I was growing up. The other two were Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque so that's pretty good company.

Drafting is a crap shoot. You take calculated risks and there are no guarantees. I would have to say Poile has hit more than miss when it comes to drafting players who make it to the NHL and are productive players.