View Single Post
Old
01-08-2004, 05:38 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
No Satan may not be a good deal, especially for his age and $10M contract. But I do hope that Lowe won't stand by and let this team miss the playoffs.
Personally, I hope they do though. And if they do they had better do a good job at it. No 9th place finishes or I'll be more than a little perturbed. You don't win without some quality impact forwards/dmen... and right now Hemsky is probably the only one I can think of for this club and he's currently on the 4th line.

Quote:
You make good point with the trades you listed, although I don't know if these trades were done in the spirit of rebuilding. I think Lowe has done a good job rebuilding while keeping his team competitive by making these deals. I mean, would you like them to rebuild like Pittsburg? Probably not. I know I don't.
You were the one that said that trading for younger players is essentially rebuilding and Brad Isbister/Radek Dvorak are prime examples for that. Personally, I don't consider it rebuilding either. I think Lowe's done a good job in keeping this team competitive as well. But doing well in a job with a flawed plan still means that the plan is flawed.

We wouldn't have to rebuild like Pittsburg. When you look at this team it is already pretty young anyways with players like Semenov, Brewer, Hemsky, and Torres being key contributors. Why straddle the fence when this team is so close to a rebuild anyway?

Quote:
It's clear Lowe is rebuilding this team, mostly with the draft. Making trades like the Comrie trade, Hecht. etc. to get draft picks is clear what he wants to accomplish and that's not a bad model to follow. It worked for Ottawa.

I hope that if he has the chance to make a good trade that will help the team in the present, I hope he does.
I know Lowe is trying to rebuild through the draft. Any good, competitive club shoud function that way. Detroit has done it. Colorado has done it in the past though they have gotten really weak in that regard of late. And Ottawa has done it as well. Even Dallas has some fine prospects.

But to make a good club, you have to have some impact players... and the Oilers currently have one. As an organization, the Oilers cannot go out and sign a Roenick, Tkachuk, or a Guerin... So, the only way that we can acquire one is through the draft. And the likelihood of finding one in the mid to late teens is a lot tougher than in the top 10. Honestly, it's going to be tough for the Oilers to find a Suter or Phaneuf in the Seabrooke range...

If Kevin Lowe finds a trade that will help the Oilers now and ALSO in the future like a Kalinin trade... I'm all for it. If it's for an older player specifically for the Oilers to win NOW, then that is something I cannot get on board with.

Whew. I'm tired.