View Single Post
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
tc 23
vCash: 77
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
This is what I was thinking. Canucks fans should've spent a week watching our PP before their games started on the west coast if they think their PP was "terribad."
I did watch quite a bit of Rangers games last season and understand that your guys' PP was pretty terrible as well. For us, our power play was producing to start the season. However, teams began keying in on how to stop our powerplay from watching us in the playoffs against the Bruins and LA. That, plus Kesler's extended absence due to injury, resulted in a truly terrible powerplay where we went 0 for 36 at some point in the season. Apparently Newell Brown had some suggestions for changes but they weren't implemented and AV instead opted to put Daniel on the point (). Had this been a full season, I'm sure we would've finished below you guys.

But as I said in my previous post. Overall, Newell Brown is a pretty good powerplay guy. It just depends on how AV plans to use his ideas.

Quote from Canucks Army article on Newell Brown and some of the changes he brought to our powerplay:
Granted, Vancouver's power-play was effective before Newell Brown joined the coaching staff and began to run the special teams units prior to the 2010-11 season. Still, there can be no real question about his success - it was immediate and rather impressive. To that end, Newell Brown's tactical innovations were many: he loaded up the first unit installing Ryan Kesler with the Sedin twins. It was an effective adjustment.

Brown's power-play units also pioneered the "zone-entry drop pass", much to the chagrin of some Canucks fans. Sure the zone-entry drop pass was a Mike Babcock original but Newell Brown relied on it in a way no one previously had. Basically if the drop pass zone-entry were the Weekend Update desk on SNL, Mike Babcock was Chevy Chase to Newell Brown's Dennis Miller.

Brown also installed a more fluid power-play formation. It looks to me like the Canucks have, over the past two and a bit season, regularly and quickly rotated between an umbrella formation, a standard spread formation, and a 1-3-1 depending on puck location. The constant rotation and formation variety has served to confuse opposing penalty-kill units and goaltenders. Pretty much immediately the Canucks went from being a good power-play team to an excellent one.

In both of Newell Brown's complete seasons coaching the power-play, the Canucks generated shots at an "elite" rate with the man-advantage and were at or near the top of the league in total power-play goals scored and conversion rate. The power-play withstood the losses of some quality power-play personnel too without missing a beat as guys like Mikael Samuelsson and Christian Ehrhoff moved on without a dip in shot rate.

tc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote