View Single Post
Old
07-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Yes he should make an impact in Dallas if his head is in right direction, Im sure Gonchar will push him in the right direction. I wish he stayed one more year in KHL to polish up a bit, he could learn a lot under Znaroks... They say Jim Nill is the smartest guy in hockey (old architect of red wings), I trust he will make the right decision on Nichushkin.
The timing of the Stars' signing of Gonchar and drafting of Nichushkin was so coincidental that it makes you think they see Gonchar as performing a two-part service: bolstering the defense and helping Nichushkin in the transition.

I also would have preferred that Nichushkin stay in Russia for another year, both for development purposes and also, selfishly, to insure his presence on the 2014 WJC team. His availability for the WJC will now be totally dependent on how quickly he adjusts to the NHL and becomes productive. My fear, as a fan of Russian hockey, is that he will adjust all too quickly. There is room on the Stars roster for Nichushkin to skate a regular shift, and if that happens, he won't be at the WJC. Nichushkin has been a phenom at every level since he was a little kid, and that could be true of the NHL as well.