View Single Post
Old
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
RGY
Kreid or Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
I'm not trying to be sarcastic. But saying they definitely won't trade him is an assumption. It isn't fact.

Del Zotto will also command a large contract soon and the Rangers will need forward depth moving forward. Top six depth. Eventually teams trade from positions of strength.

If you really believe trading Del Zotto isn't a possibility then I don't know what to tell you. Folks thought Gaborik wasn't going anywhere.

McDonagh and Staal will ALWAYS play above Del Zotto as long as they are on this team. Del Zotto is awful on the right side. You want a potential 4+ cap hit on the third pair? John Moore can fill that role at a fraction of the cost.

There is no way to definitively say they won't trade him.

As far as Richards goes, yea they said they won't buy him out this summer. The topic i was responding to was about putting him on the wing. What would be the point of keeping him on the roster at that point. His value isn't as a winger. If he's put there its because he isnt getting the job done, he's ineffective, and needs to go. Rangers lack NHL ready depth down the middle, keep Richards' 6.6 cap hit to put him on the wing?
I agree with the last portion regarding Richards. I think he should be here playing center in the top 6. If management did not think he could do that then he should've been bought out. For some reason I am optimistic that Richards will come back next year ready to prove everyone wrong. Maybe it's because of his exit interviews and comments.

However, you cannot compare MDZ to Gaborik's situation. It is not the same. Gaborik is on the wrong side of 30 with a $7.5 million dollar cap hit. The Rangers needed that room. They were able to fill out the roster with 3 players by dealing his cap. And I am a huge Gaborik fan. I knew that was the move to be made. Del Zotto on the other hand is making $2.5 million next year. He will obviously get a raise. But if you have McDonagh signing for around $5 million and you have Staal making less than $5, then I see Del Zotto around $3.5-$4.25 in his next contract depending on how he plays. That is an affordable contract for this organization moving forward in 2014-2015.