Thread: It's over guys
View Single Post
Old
01-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
It's over guys

Unless Taylor trades away a big chunk of the future for a current star, or Allison has a miraculous recovery the Kings as we know it are over.

I hate to say it but the season is slipping away, even before this injury. The injury just ends it. Expect to see the Kings do the same thing they did last year, keep losing and slipping away and then at the deadline unload some of the veterans. The difference being, with last year we still had the hopes of Allison and Deader returning, along with Ziggy for the next season.

Deader's career is likely over, Allison probably wont be back, Ziggy is an UFA, plus there is no guarantee there will be any hockey this coming fall, its very depressing for this team. We had a solid core of players with Ziggy, Allison, Deader, Norstrom, Smolinski, Visnovsky, Miller etc. But we never got to see it at full power. We had our hearts broken 2 years in a row coming back from down 1-3 only to lose in 7 games to very good Colorado teams. What ifs will always be asked. What if Smolinski scores on that empty net late in the 2nd of Game 7 vs. Colorado. Do the Kings hold the lead and go onto the Conf. Finals against IMO a weaker Blues team. What if the refs dont botch the call in game 2 that same year against Colorado, where Glenn Murray clearly beats Patrick Roy and the goal is taken away and on that same play the Avs score. What if the Kings come home up 2-0 in that series?

I'd love to see Ziggy re-signed, but at this point I'd say its 50/50. I expect once the CBA is resolved the Kings will go into a bit of a rebuild mode. But with players like Frolov, Cammalleri, Aulin, Brown and Gleason all under 22 years old and all having NHL experience the future is bright. Plus add in guys like Tambellini, Boyle and Grebeshkov and we will be a solid team after the rebuild.

Am I overreacting? I really don't think so. This post Blake team gave us some good memories, but the question that will always be asked is "what if?"