View Single Post
Old
07-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Rafik Soliman
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
There is more to North American hockey than hitting. I was thinking about grinding, north-south hockey, pressure on the net... those are all key aspects of Geneva's style of hockey.

Anyway, what worries me is the AHL's track record rather than those theorical aspects. Spending time there didn't help Riesen, Vauclair, Bezina, Stephan or Ramholt build an NHL career. On the other hand, even superstars such as Zetterberg or Malkin took some time to develop home and went straight to the NHL. Few players are world class at age 20, there is nothing wrong with being patient.

That's why I think he should play out his contract with Geneva. But I'd still be happy if he goes to the AHL and proves me wrong.
I in a way agree with you, but there is a hughe difference with those cases, and that is the league they were playing in...

There is no question, that Sweden and Russia have the acceptance from NHL-General Manager (well in Russia it's also a contractal-thing with the cold-war between the KHL and NHL) and so they would agree to let a Player one or two seasons longer playing there...

But our League is making progess, but still is miles away from being a good preparation for the NHL in case of game-preparation, post-game rehabilitation and of course the style of play.

I mean I just read an article about the summer-training of Mark Streit in the Tages-Anzeiger, were there was one quote that catched my eye "Summer training in Switzerland in the "weight/exercise room" usually is with the whole team for 2 1/2 hours and 1 1/2 hours the guys were talking to eachothers instead of exercising..."

So me as a NHL-GM, I would want my Prospects to be as close I can have them, so I can watch them all the time and have their eating habits, working habits and pre- and post-game stuff under control...

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote