View Single Post
Old
07-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Chris Nilan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
UFA season is upon us, and with it the arguments that plenty of these players choose to avoid the Habs. If so, what are the main reasons?

1. Is it that we're not seen as a contender? (I think we are close to being contenders.)

2. Is it "the pressure" of this market? (There's a relative loss of privacy off-ice when playing in Montreal, but it is the world's premier hockey city wouldn't some players thrive on that?)

3. Is it that the players' kids would have to go to a French-language school? (I think most millionaires can afford to send their kids to private school, does the Habs organization help with such logistics of relocation?)

4. Is it that the income tax rate is significantly higher in Québec?

5. The long cold winters?

Please let's not let this sink to a Québec-bashing thread. I seriously wonder if the "UFA avoid Montréal" phenomenon is real, and if so, why?
Maybe, just maybe, the Canadiens avoid UFAs!

It's not like baseball or basketball, sports for which the UFA hits the market in his prime. UFA players in hockey tend not to be available at that time b/c of the different draft system, entry level contracts, and RFA contracts and other issued imposed by the very different CBA.

When was the last time you saw a player comparable to Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder hit the UFA market in hockey? Doesn't happen in hockey--it just doesn't happen.

Finally, why would you even want to go for a guy who moans about pressure? I say this at least once a year, but I don't ever recall Derek Jeter moaning about the pressure of being captain of the Yankees. I don't think Kobe Bryant whines about the pressure of carrying the Lakers' tradition. I know for sure that Shaq bailed and that A-Rod whines about it. I don't think Aaron Rodgers complains about the pressure of being QB of the Green Bay Packers--in a city with one team and only 150,000 people. Donovan McNabb took more heat in Philly than these "pressure cooker" whiners could ever imagine. The Boston Globe still has a sports page the size the entire Ottawa Citizen. Get over yourselves! As well, stop defending these criers, who all also happen to be Don Cherry's favourites, and their (often imagined) fear of Mtl!

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote