Thread: Waived: Belanger
View Single Post
Old
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Baggers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The two main things he was brought in to do (faceoffs and PK), I think he did an excellent job at. Unfortunately, zero of the offense he managed over his career ever materialized. And with MacT's comment about players having to be at least marginally a threat to score, it was clear Belanger wasn't going to be here much longer.

Still, I think a compliance buyout might be a waste on a player who's only got 1 year left at a cap hit of under $2M. I would've just buried him in the minors and taken the ~$900K (or whatever it is) cap penalty or used a regular buyout and carried the $500K or so for the next 2 seasons.
While I agree with you in principle, at the moment the Oilers' only bad contracts are Horcoff, Smyth, Belanger, Hemsky, and Eager.

Horcoff and Hemsky are bad contracts, but if MacT strikes out in free agency, they are better options than buying them out and not filling the holes that they leave.

In regards to Smyth, management seems intent on keeping him for another year, so that doesn't count. And with Eager, he's 700,000/year cheaper, so he's easier to bite the bullet on and bury in the minors.

Maybe they just wanted to get rid of him?

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote