Old
07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Noir

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Thanks

I'll try again:
Have you seen the movie The Prestige? The fancy names are all just that; they're "the prestige" of the deke. The toe-drag, the forehand-backhand, the spin-o-rama, the Datsyukian, etc. The key to deking is actually what you do before that.

Have you ever heard of the term "shifty" in hockey? That is exactly what deking is all about. Deking is causing your opponent to be out of position or be in a disadvantageous position. You do that by being shifty. On the top of my head, the tools I can quickly think of are:

Stop and goes
Stop and goes are all about the sudden change of your speed, causing your opponent to overshoot his position on you. You can do a full stop and go, or just even a slight hesitation and then go; the amount of hesitation required depends on the situation so a big part of this too is how well you read your situation.

Leaning & Weight shifting
This is about selling your fake in one direction by putting your weight (or leaning) into the direction and then shifting to the opposite. The further out you can lean with the puck one way, the better you're selling it.

However the key is, you can't lean with the puck too much that it's beyond your ability to pull the puck back in and onto the other direction. This develops little by little though until and you can gradually get your leans from weak to legit.

Fake Move???
I guess this goes into a category of its own. I've seen people fake a shot (causing defenders to stand up right and go for a blocking position), fake a pass, and I guess even shoulder fakes go here.

Hesitation - Game of Chicken
No other way of explaining it other than hesitating your move until the very last moment. I call it the game of Chicken because the objective is the same where the first player to flinch (or make a move in hockey context) is the loser.

Basically you're either baiting or out-waiting your opponent in order for him/her to make the first move.

So, does this help? Not yet. The tools above are useless unless you have the hockey sense to read when they're appropriate to employ and which ones (or which combination) are the appropriate according to the situation. So to be a dangler, your most dangerous weapon isn't exactly your skill, its your hockey sense.

So other than working on your elementary skills of hockey such as skating and stickhandling, how do you actually practice being a dangler? or hone your hockey senses which dictates:

1) how you read your opponent
2) how you read your immediate environment
3) how you read your situation

Well, one way is playing keep-away with your friend; similar to Datysuk's video below. Of course, find a partner on par with your skill level and progress gradually. Don't actually be as intense as this video or have similar expactations to it. Just play around.

Last edited by Noir: 07-04-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote