Thread: Speculation: Richards' future on the NYR
View Single Post
Old
07-05-2013, 02:01 AM
JC704

vCash: 500
My problem with Richards is that even though the production didn't fall off a cliff, everything else he does on the ice just seems sub-par. His skating is solid, but he doesn't forecheck well enough, nor was he better than Stepan this season at setting up other players. He was below-average to bad at times on the PP and just looked one play behind when I watched him play.

The stuff about being "mentally weak" is a load of crap though. He won a Conn Smythe in Tampa and made Dallas an incredibly respectable team despite being in perpetual transition for the last 5-7 years or so. He's a tough guy and legitimately took his struggles last year to heart.

I just think in the end it's about putting the best team on the ice and I think Richards' 45-60 points this season combined with his overall play will pale in comparison to Stepan's emergence as this team's #1 and Brassard's potential. It's all about value and Stepan and Brassard, from what we've seen in a small sample size provide better value for this team moving forward.

JC704 is offline   Reply With Quote